Making bookcloth part 1

Last night I made my first piece of bookcloth. I used a piece of my hand dyed cotton poplin with a sheet of Kozuke (44grams) from Shephards. I followed the excellent instructions given by Sarah Bryant on her blog Big Jump Press. Sarah tells you how to make your own starch paste – I cheated and brought some ready made from Ratchfords. I diluted the paste about 50/50 with cold water.

Diluted starch paste

Diluted starch paste

I found the process really easy but had to use a stippling brush across the whole surface to get good adhesion between the paper and the cloth – maybe a combination of not getting the fabric wet enough and the starch paste being a little too thick?? Or because of the weight of paper?

Fabric on paper ready to leave overnight to dry

Fabric on paper ready to leave overnight to dry

It dried nicely overnight but feels stiffer than I thought it would. So this morning I am going to make another piece. I’m going to spray more water on the fabric and leave it for 10-15 minutes before adding the paper. I’m going to dilute the paste just a little bit more. I’m also going to use a different, slightly lighter weight paper. And yes the scientist that I am in my day job is screaming about the dangers of changing too many variables at once! But, what the heck, it is my weekend off.

My first piece of bookcloth

My first piece of bookcloth

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s